Colonise Bio has been a great staple in the Foliar-Pak line-up for years. But, after looking into data from customers, Foliar-Pak knew they could make a great product even better.
For four years, Foliar-Pak studied the original Colonise Bio formulation in the field. They reviewed how customers were using it, why they were using it, and where it worked best.
On the heels of this feedback and data collection, Foliar-Pak took the opportunity to rebuild the formulation late in the summer of 2019. While the old Colonise Bio formulation was a generalist in many ways, the new formulation is a specialist in a few specific ways.
- In the new formulation, a specific plant extract, which contains a high amount of plant triterpenoid saponins, replaced the humic acid and seaweed extract from the original Colonise Bio formulation. These plant-based saponins improve soil conditions for root growth.
- The old set of generalist bacteria in Colonise Bio was swapped out and replaced with a new set of bacteria, which was explicitly designed to break down organic matter. Trials demonstrated that the new set of bacteria helps break down thatch much more efficiently than the old set.
- The only constant between the old and new formulation, Armament technology, is still in the new formulation, but the amino acids in the formulation were adjusted. The new Colonise Bio formulation has amino acids that directly help the plant maintain its cellular turgor pressure–even in dry conditions marked by high electrical conductivity (EC) in the soil. This will help the turf continue to function even in stressful conditions. The amino acids also help with nutrient support in very low CEC and/or EC soils with low OM content.
The new formulation, with its proprietary combination of inputs, will add value to any superintendent’s program. Whether they want better root growth, reduced thatch production, or better turf health during stressful conditions, they’re likely to find it with the updated Colonise Bio.
Situations Colonise Bio is Perfect For
- Very low CEC/EC soils with low organic matter content. The microbial package and plant extracts of the new Colonise Bio formulation improve soil biology and rooting, which leads to better nutrient holding while improving the turf’s ability to absorb water and nutrients.
- Excess thatch. Excessive thatch is made up of lignin materials that can be hydrophobic and devoid of microbial activity. The new Colonise Bio formulation incorporates live biology and carbon sources, improving biological activity, and creating an environment that helps reduce thatch, improve water infiltration and nutrient retention.
- Turf under stress. The new Colonise Bio formulation is an excellent addition to programs created for turf that is under constant environmental stress, such as traffic, especially when there is a history of limited rooting. The amino acids and plant extracts have a direct plant benefit that increases stress tolerance.
- Nutrient tie-up in the soil. The new formulation creates a better biological presence in the soil. Coupled with the Armament technology already present in the new Colonise Bio, both work to mineralize unavailable nutrients.